Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lakeside Fun


 Stiff Goldenrod tells me the change of season is on it's way.



This group greeted me a few times over this last week. One doe and fawn had some terrible scars which made me wonder who they met up with. I have seen both cougar and bobcat in this area, plus hear numerous coyote howling. The other morning I was surprised to still hear a few howls out across the lake at 7AM.



 Something many haven't seen over this summer much, a nice rain storm.




 Gertrude and Heathcliff squawking




 An end of a hot day, and the start of a new one. Better go fishing is what I heard.



 Largemouth Bass
 Striped Bass
I mixed up some batter and was surprised how much fish I had to cook for a little dog and me. Both of us ate our fill and I decided to see if it would keep well for breakfast the next day. If not is would have fun tossing some to the gulls and watch them argue over the scraps. The freshness really makes a difference when cooking fish. The heat today slowed my appetite a bit, I only had one pastry midmorning instead of two. A wonderful part of the area I am in is there is a small Dutch community nearby and I love to frequent the two bakeries on a regular basis.. Lily buries or hides food she doesn't want to eat. In camp it is pushing some gravel over it, but with the German bees coming out you don't want to have something to attract them. One stung me three times when I was turning my clothes  around on the clothesline after a good swim. It was under a towel, maybe getting a drink from the moisture. As the sun begins to set I try to decide where a good location might be for the evening. Hopefully there will be a few clouds to accent the beauty. During the hot weather go for a ride also means sit in the air conditioning , and a little dog really enjoys that. I have had to leave her in a running car while I go into the store or library. It is nice to be in a small town where one can get away with that and not worry about coming out to a lost vehicle.

The sun was a lot nicer the next day. I worked in the field looking over a few areas and enjoyed the warm turning cool. Someone didn't want to get up and out from under the covers. Two more days of this was nice and hard to go home. I washed all my clothes and will load up today to go over into Nebraska today. A neighbor brought me over some of my tomatoes she has kept picked for me and I laughed at her having canned a few. She is a unique friend and I enjoy sharing with her. A call came last night and another friend was close coming back from St. Louis. He stayed the evening and left early this morning without eating breakfast heading north to beat some heat.I enjoyed the cool to sleep and my bed was real soft compared to the cot I have shared with a little black dog. If I have missed your posts it is because I am not close to a computer or the Internet. I should be back in the swing of things this next week some , but it is always hard to tell where my journey takes me.The road home is always a nice one to enjoy.

16 comments:

  1. how lovely to be able to travel about. Plus you can make time to fish! now that is summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your travels with us. Love that water lapping at the beach and the slice of moon is lovely. Sounds like you're having fun. Nice insights on you and your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet that fish smelled heavenly after a long day of hiking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, love that tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your getaway sounds just perfect...well, except for the intense heat. That closeup of the setting sun is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like your travels were just perfect. Beautiful sunrises and sets.. wildlife, fishing and sharing a meal with your dear little pal. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. simply beautifully captured shots...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you're enjoying you trip Steve! And Miss Lily too!
    That poor deer...Glad it got away!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. your posts always make me smile - thanks, i needed that today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know Goldenrod meant fall is near--good to know. There is nothing like fresh fish to make the day complete. Beautiful photos!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow---life is good for Steve!!!! A beautiful sunset, moon, lake, beach --and some delicious freshly caught bass.... YUM!!!!! It can't get much better than that, can it???
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That poor deer and I remember Gertrude and Heathcliff, I love your perspective of the tree

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...nice collection of photos...and nice fish! What a great haul. Sounds like they tasted good too! We had a break in the weather too. It went from 100 degreesF on Friday to 61 today. That's a bit too quick for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. how wonderful to travel about and see such great sights.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate all your photos, Steve, especially the ones of deers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You get out there and enjoy things while it's warm Steve! I always love seeing your pictures. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!