Monday, July 25, 2011

Ride On

 A pork tenderloin sandwich, a specialty around Iowa. This can feed two and a bargain at five dollars.

This week is the bike ride across Iowa called RAGBRAI. It is an annual event for the last 39 years. A traveling city of 15,000 riders and crew invading many towns even smaller than the group. Eating is a passion along the way, each town has food and entertainment to enjoy. Many people host groups of riders allowing them to stay in their homes and yards. A hot shower becomes a commodity this week, since in the campgrounds it isn't heated.The daily rides are 55-75 miles with a few extra loops for those who want to say they rode 100 miles taking a century loop. The ride starts along the Missouri River where each rider dips their tires and ends at the Mississippi River where you end your journey by dipping your tire into the water again. My best record for eating was eight pieces of pie in a day one year. Thank goodness for all the ladies who make these delightful pastries for many to try.I favor the Methodists for breakfast, they always have a filling amount to get one started.If I am missing you on the comments it is because it gets hard to get online. We have a huge motorhome and trailer for our sagwagon to help carry all of our gear we aren't using
and giving some a day off from riding.
















21 comments:

  1. I recently started keeping fit??....Only the bike I use is a fixed one! In the gym!......Plus those riders look to fit for me!

    Great shots as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those pastries sound heavenly. Eight pieces in a day? Wow. The bike ride sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! Thanks from Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds FUN!!!!! Oh I really want to look into doing this next year!
    And 8 pieces of pie!?!? WOW! Was it all the same kind?:))
    That 4 person triathlon team sounds hilarious. It would be tempting to be the "eater":))
    Beautiful Bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you participate in RAGBRA? That is SUPER, Steve. I'm sure it is a fabulous experience. How many years have you done it?????

    The pictures look so peaceful when compared to seeing all of those bikes... ha
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am amazed at the people that go on this huge bike ride across our state of Iowa.. I was just glad that the weather is not going to be so hot..God is good..Delightful pictures~!
    Have a safe trip and have a Tiggeriffic Day~!
    ta ta for now from Iowa:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't eat a lot of meat, but that pork tenderloin does look mighty good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your bun needs ironing out a bit...Hahaaa...That sandwich looks GOOD!!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to have a co-worker that did Ragbrai every year. Sounded like a rolling party across Iowa. Hope you have fun, don't eat so much you feel bloated and stay safe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like fun. Love all the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my, I would never make it that far in one day. Well maybe I could if it was all down hill :)
    That is some sandwich there

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos. But dude - that's a lot of pie!

    And that pork sandwich flung a cravin' on me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have an enjoyable bike ride, and try to manage to get a photo or two while you're at it. These are some lovelies today. I especially loved the field of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like bike riding, but I think I would never be able to ride that far. Iowa is a big state.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just before the week-end I cooked Tacos. The first I ate Tacos is in 1985 in Salt Lake City.
    My husband and I like to eat Tacos. I can fix some very good hamburgers, much better as Mc Do' the ones.
    An australian biker just won the "Tour de France".
    My friend, Ian, who lives near Adelaïde is surely very glad and proud.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Of course you like the Methodists at breakfast! Nothing so good as church cooking ... they really pile it on! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. You make the place you live look irresistible. I love pie - but 8 pieces in one day! Ooof! You must be in great shape to ride 75-100 miles a day despite the pie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bike ride sounds like fun, especially if you can ride through that sea of black eyed susans that you photographed. Wonderful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun! 8 pieces?? Holy pie, batman! That sandwich looks great. Did you save me any??

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Steve, you're taking lots of ribbing about the pie eating, but heck you can exercise it off with this ride. I think I'll stick to the bikes at the local YMCA.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm impressed Steve. That a lot of miles per day. My retirement pace is about ten. Of course, I carry my binoc (birding) and camera (wildflower) so with stop it might take me 4 hours. :)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!