Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Road That Takes You Everywhere

















One of the nice things about waking early was watching a good sunrise. It seemed to offer strength to her through her day. She always used this time to remember all around her and ask for health and happiness for all she knew and had met. This was how she always started her day and sometimes felt that moment again through the day. She had encountered many families with her volunteer work that could always use that extra good thought to help them along. There was a similarity to their woes when she met them, and a bit of kindness could spread happiness for many. She often passed that smile to people she met up with through the day, thinking that for some it may be the only one they might encounter. Our happiness in this world often is what we make it, and a little extra is needed for many.



They decided to stop at the western clothing store and look for a few items for her friend. Waiting for it to open they drove around the surrounding rural area looking over the land. Farmers were mowing and baling hay earlier in the week and some machinery sat in a field ready for the next round. A herd of cattle worked a meadow looking for the sweetest grass and they pulled over to watch. A tiny set of eyes peeked from within the circle and a few youngsters stayed in the middle for security. They laughed at one who looked like it had a black eye with the white and black on its face. It seemed to be able to tell they were watching it and stayed behind the adults. High up on the hill sat the homestead with one old barn starting to collapse, perhaps started from damage from a bad storm. Her friend told of having to repair his big barn numerous times through the years and told of one of the worst storms that almost caught his house. He sat in the cellar after a announcement on television and cold hear the wailing outside. When the noise cleared he had to really push to open his cellar door, part of a nearby shed was on top of the door. Hs daughter reminded him that was what she had gotten him a cell phone for, and he just laughed. He never remembered to carry it much.



The store was huge and a salesperson came over to see if they needed help. They wanted her friend measured to see what size he wore and the salesperson went to get a tape. Coming back even her friend was surprised at what size he had whittled down to. He immediately picked a red shirt out and his daughter and friend picked a few more for him. Pants were another problem and his daughter went into the dressing room to help him. When she came out she was a bit teary eyed, she hadn’t noticed how thin he really was, and noticed his strength in decline. He was very tired easily, and often napped. They paid for the clothing and she made sure to thank everyone that helped him. Her friend told them he would be back when he needed more after he regained his weight. Both ladies looked at each other and just smiled. She asked her friend if he was up for more ice cream to get that weight going, and he said every meal he ate would be fine to have some. He wore a new shirt and pants home, fingering the snaps on the shirt and remembering how this used to be all he ever wore.



This was her last week and it seemed hard to fit everything in. They went out and fished a few more evenings and fixed trout one day for breakfast, just as he told them he did when his daughter was younger. She just smiled since she had just really started eating fish, never caring for it when she was younger. He told of always having to cut the heads off for her mom and bringing a fresh lemon to squeeze on the fish. She saw a smile on her friend each time he mentioned his wife and knew he was still in love.

28 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this "story." making our own happiness and knowing that others might need a little extra. this is an important thing to remember. Love the sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I can't get enough of that farmland, Steve. Wonderful pictures. Loved the story about the storm as well. No cell phone? Talk to my hubby! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those wide open spaces. I grew up in Nebraska and I still think prairie as far as the eye can see is the most beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love these images. I can't get enough of those cow pictures. They are such cool animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that shot of the cows cooling off in the water :) It's been so hot I would do the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those pictures remind me of home. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photo of the melting snow looking like a sleeping animal

    and the sheep!

    and the touching story

    I enjoyed my visit
    thank you for visiting my post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great set of photos! I love farm country and really like that first photo. Your little dog looks lost on that road..ha! Enjoyed this chapter of your story as well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. smiles at the tender end to your tale...

    what is that first purple flower...kinda like a puff ball?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Comments acting up again! One more time...

    Love all these but what is that in the 7th photo down???
    Beautiful photos!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your photos very much and LOVED the words you wrote, even though they brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful in every way. Can't get enough of your photos or your stories. Always smile when I leave here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is that snow that looks like a hand on the rock? It is a good picture. The love story is wonderful. Each of the characters loves the other two in precisely the way they are needed. How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely midwest scenes -- :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. those cows in the pond have the right idea. It hit 95 here today, I could use a cool pond right about now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another nice set of photographs, Steve. And you've really drawn me into this story. I'm hoping for a happy outcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent photos, Steve !
    I love the sheeps because many years ago (in my first life as I say) I was sheperdess. We have five females and a male and we had many baby lambs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved to be sheperdess, specially when the females gave birth to their baby lambs.
    In winter what I did not like to do was breaking the ice above the water of the drinking trough.On the other hand I loved to bottle-fedd the bab lambs when their mother had not milk enough or when they did not want to feed their baby.
    We stopped our little breeding when my ex husband changed work. He had not time enough to take care of the beasts and me I could not make some of things.
    lambs the A

    ReplyDelete
  19. Look at all that lovely green space! What a feast for the eyes. Some of those flowers I recognise, like yarrow (tiny white petals). Love the way the animals are so inquisitive. I enjoyed your story as well - it's the little details, like the weight he has lost, that pull me into the words.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another lovely set of photos. That pup crossing the road.. stretching out so far ahead is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Touching continuation of the story, Steve. As always, enjoyed the photos, especially out in the pastures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perfect photos and a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seeing the cows is fun. I haven't seen a cow myself in a long time now. The last time was several years ago when I was in your part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What beautiful scenery! There's something very relaxing about wide open, grassy spaces. Also, I know the look you're talking about when you can tell someone's in love. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I remember being there last month!

    ReplyDelete
  26. As usual... such beautiful photos - they almost don't seem real!
    And yes... I agree with "her." Nothing like the sunrise to see one through the day! The best show ever and free for all to enjoy!
    Blessings!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  27. Making hay already. Thats a black baldy if I ever saw one. Nice white face.
    I was drawn right to the cattle. So very Nice.!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!