Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Journey

 Eastern Bluebird






 Five hungry babies



 Pale Beardstongue



 A couple of bluebirds watching me and a little dog


Having flown out to see her friend was an experience in itself. She had flown only twice before so she tried to remember to get some gum to chew while flying to keep her ears clear. When she pulled out her pack an anxious boy looked at her and she asked his mom if they would like some. Both took a piece and thanked her. Getting to her destination there was a lot of people to watch as well as many sights so she was slow to meet her friend’s daughter. They barely talked until they got close to her home and she filled her in on her friend’s diagnosis. She told his daughter to take care of herself, that all would pass with time.




She knew the fishing was to be on their agenda, but they went that day, even though she was a bit tired. They talked about taking him shopping the next day since none of his clothes were fitting very well. He said he had lots at home, but both laughed thinking of clothes he had never wore in years sitting in his extra bedroom. When anybody passed away he received lots of clothes that had been theirs and rarely bought anything new. His daughter reminded him of when all his shirts had snaps and thought these might be easier for him to master, since buttons were getting hard sometimes. He had an appointment in the afternoon so they planned a shopping trip in the morning if he felt up to it. All dreamed of fishing that night.



The next day went a little different, their plans changed when they decided to look at the area rather than stand in a stuffy store. Driving through mountains is entirely different from out on the prairie. The thought of driving made her uneasy, but her hostess sailed through all the curves and ups and downs. She kept her window down, even when it felt a bit chilly. The smells coming were remarkable and she quickly fell in love with the land. Stopping on an overlook she wondered how far one could see, it just faded away. A hawk was at eye level soaring along. It was a pleasant feeling to watch at this angle. Holding up her hand to it she thanked it for joining her on a nice day. They sat for quite a long time, while she walked about and looked at all the treasures. Before leaving she stood on the edge of the parking and said a prayer for all she knew and loved in this world. She hoped for happiness for her new found friend and his family. A tear blurred her vision and she took a couple deep breaths before going back to the car.



The day had to end soon, since they had to take her friend in for an appointment. He asked if she wanted to be at home while they talked to him, or go along. She smiled and said she would go along. It was a quick appointment, they just took blood and asked him if this was another daughter. He smiled and said this was one of his best friends. This made her blush, they stayed away from being very personal it seemed before. He asked his daughter to swing by his favorite place and they headed off across a small valley. Up on the hillside stood a dozen cattle. She laughed at his finding this special area. He stepped out of the car and mooed at them. Both of the ladies followed his call with a few weaker ones. They laughed when all the cattle looked up at them and began calling a few more times, feeling really silly. Her friend just stood back and watched, not able to think of anything that was funnier. He laughed seeing his daughter at a less serious side as she acted when she was a lot younger. She was his little baby.



They discussed cattle and traits they liked in all out in the field. She wished they could send some of this laughter to his cattle at home. He remarked how his were a lot better, but the food was better on his prairie. A call off in the distance signaled the group to head over a hillside and they got back in the car and headed for home. The laughter and good conversation was carried all along on the long ride. It made her feel like they were a family, and she waited to hear someone ask how much longer it would be until they were there.

22 comments:

  1. Yeah! More beauty will be added to the sky very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh!! How sweet! Love the Blue Bird!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading this story and wondering if it is about you or someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great captures again. Thank you for sharing the beauty with us.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very thought provoking story today.

    Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve, I love the babies; so sweet!
    and your story is just as friends should be...giddy, partaking in excitement together and just being...
    love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice that you have a family of bluebirds nesting in your bluebird house. They are such beautiful birds. That's a nice photo of the dragonfly, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bluebirds. Hope to see the babies "fly the coop" soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to get a peek inside the bluebirds nursery. Shhhh, don't wake the babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Steve, OH --how I love seeing the Bluebird family... I SO hope that another set will come along and build a nest in our nestbox... Right now (after we had to clean it out---SIGH), the nest is empty.... I will definitely enjoy seeing yours... Keep sharing pictures as the little ones grow....

    Thanks..
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to see the bird life in the garden, and the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all your Bluebird photos and the nest. I never get to see these beautiful birds. Enjoyed this chapter of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to share some babies with you. I am reluctant to pester them too much, I would hate to see the nest abandoned.This is the 2nd nesting at this box.I see this comment section is still meessed up and would like to know how to fix it.
    Steve,Out On The Prairie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Steve, loved everything about this post. I'm not sure if you've been having the same problems as me with people not being able to leave comments here, but I believe Blogger has still got some kinks in the works. I know people have had a hard time leaving comments at my place depending on the day, and also others have complained about their own comment features being messed up. Hopefully it will get sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always feel such a sense of calm when I see your photos. Love that butterfly. But, I'm glad I'm not a mama bird with five hungry mouths to feed!

    Could you do me a big favor and drop by again and tell me how to fix the comment problem?? I'm at a loss! Many thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How great to have a bluebird family! I wish I'd see them around here more often.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pictures provide the sugar to swallow this sad and touching story set. I wonder if you have a private collection of candid photographs of the folks you've interviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful!! Your bluebirds must be less nervous than our Blue Jays and Mocking Birds cause I usually get whipped every time I get baby pics. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the part in the story where they moo at the cattle. I think every time I've seen cows that somebody always does that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. To begin with I'm a huge bluebird fan so was very excited to see these photos. The story was really nice, very gentle, and seemed very real. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I sure do love your bird shots on those houses. We were hoping to get baby birds this week from our parakeets, but apparantely the eggs dried up. :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the bluebirds! I have babies this year (for the first time) what a gift from God! Thanks for liking my image on birds and bloom and contacting me. I live in Indiana. I too love native plants. My kids and I planted all kinds for butterflies last year and it has just grown this. I have a website for lots of my nature. http://etterscreations1.shutterfly.com/ go to the guest page. Last year I made a 'wildflowers book" its on there if you have trouble locating msg me and i'll send it to you. I also have a blog http://etterscreationsphotography.blogspot I'll keep in touch. Headed out to the flowers to mulch.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!