Monday, April 11, 2011

Warm Day
















The first real warm day like summer beckoned a road trip. It was a hard decision to make which direction to travel. Starting to the east she had to stop and get a few things at the store. Pulling away she went in the opposite direction remembering a county road she had traveled in sections. Familiar barns and homes greeted her as she headed into general directions. Being close to a state line made her feel like heading there. Tiny towns melded into the farmlands and soon she was near her destination. A park nearby would give her a nice hike to wear off the ride.


A large marshland slowed the travel quick with a small assortment of geese and ducks. There was a lot of activity making new families. A small deer stood off to the side, but vaulted away as soon as she saw it. Turning off the car a symphony of frogs sang out to her. The wind smelled of happiness and she sat enjoying the warmth of the sun and the area. This was just the start of a fragmented state forest along her path. She had traveled this section of the road a number of times from a different direction. The only road into another section was next, but still too soggy to travel. She stopped and checked a tiny runoff for frogs and headed into the dense forest. It had started to grow out and would become impassable in a few months. Looking at some small bright green bud clusters she wondered what this plant was, she had seen it the week before. Flowers called out to her each turn.


Driving closer to the next area traffic began to pick up. Many people would have this same idea on a day like today. She stopped and grabbed a sandwich, eating it the last leg of the trip. She pulled into the front section of the park and pulled over a few times to look at new growth and let a few cars pass. She didn’t like keeping up with traffic. She didn’t want to miss any of the beauty along the way. Pulling off into parking for a nice trail a few sun worshiping bodies were lined on a hillside beside the closed beach. Faded tan lines needed strengthened she laughed. Grabbing a camera and binoculars she headed past a collection of petroglyphs on display. Stopping and looking them over the light wasn’t good to take a picture. In a window of the small building surrounding them a large mass of bugs caught her attention. A thumping of a woodpecker up the trail called her to head on down the trail. The first grove of trees was tall straight pines and they were amazing to smell and see. A few butterflies teased along with her and the birds sang a familiar tune.

26 comments:

  1. Love all the life depicted in these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful warming up photos! They made me feel hopeful. Spring is springing!!!
    Thank you for the warm day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos. I like the sun behind the flower. Is that a tick? Great photos of the Geese. The tree mushrooms and the old wood are so neat. Is that a bee hive?? Love the bird's nest. Great angle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures and lovely story. The woman of your story sounds a lot like my...I randomly drive country roads searching for anything that catches my eye. I never have a destination in mind, instead it is more about the journey. This final spot on her trip sounds a lot like Indian Cave State Park....beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ewwww! Ticks already? I'm not looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. EKKKKKKK!!!!Hahahaaaa.....yuck! Ticks!
    Love these, especially kitty and that blossom up top!
    Beautiful!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. In your story, she sounded like she had a good time---on a beautiful spring day!!!

    Love your pictures --and they certainly do show SPRING in your area... The mushrooms are gorgeous.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your warm day. Spring really wants to spring. Can't wait here for the bees to buzz. Lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tree & mushrooms &&&& I heard that the ticks are already out, but haven't seen any yet...till now. YUK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve, enjoyed all the photos (except the tick) and the kitty was my favorite this time. Also enjoyed the story of her drive along a county road and the final destination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely sights. I've been itching to take a little road trip with the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Youch! That picture of the tick is scary. It's still a good one, like the rest, but ticks are a big problem around here too. I guess they are a problem everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steve,
    I saw on the news tonight about tornadoes in Iowa and I thought of you...I hope all is well and the storms were far away from your place...
    take good care and hold onto your hat!

    http://sbpra.com/tracyspaine/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this warm day.
    I go back on your blog to morrow to read your writting.
    Over here we has a very warm last week. Today it's cold.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that CAT! Is it yours, Steve?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That first shot is stunning.. and I want to snuggle up with that kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to agree with the others....eek! Ticks! I love warmth but I hate the bugs that come along with it!
    That pic of your cat is just too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice... except for the tick. I had a deer tick on me yesterday and they make me much more nervous than their wood tick cousins. Lyme disease and all....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad to be back and reading your wonderful posts again, and looking at all those great photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That photo of the flower against the sun is gorgeous. That and the kitty were my favorites this time. Hope the tick was a goner shortly after its photo op.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nature has beauty in lots of forms. You capture them well with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  22. yes for YUCK to ticks!! we've had a LOT of ticks this spring... my dog sampson is a tick magnet but even dora is getting them this year... not cold enough this winter? great photos.. give kitty a pat from me :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your story reminds me when we drive with our american friend accross Utah, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho States.

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks for visiting my blob! I love the kitty up there!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would say the cat caught my eye. I am surprised it will stay like that under the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Blossoms, deer & cat are my faves. That cat pic is adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!