Friday, April 29, 2011

Memorable Memories



















White-throated Sparrow





























Pussy Toes





Yellow-rumped Warbler





He sat back in the morning sun and thought about a thousand memories, all at once. He drifted a bit and stood up to get another cup of coffee. A hoot started off to his left and he looked to see who was there. Another hoot followed, with another close by. He listened again and was sure of the three separate owls. They charmed the treetops and soon must have found a new area to sing. He waited for more, gazing at all the activity on his feeders. A screech said wood duck and he went and filled his cup. There was a nice feel to this morning, it carried an air of happiness. The owls had topped the start of his day like frosting on a cake. He thought of a dozen things he could do, but sat in his chair and let his coffee get cold. He heard a song in the air, a song that was drifting all around him. He sat listening to it well.





He grabbed a handful of rods and reels and set to untangling the mess when he came back up on his porch. It was a part of fishing a friend used to say, when you untangled lines to get ready. He set to work stripping off old line and cleaning everything up a bit. He smiled remembering the fish each of his rods had caught, and was ready for the new season. He set all the hooks and weights he cut off into a coffee saucer. This was some major work and he could use a helping hand he thought. Pacing off his yardage he walked out the lines to replace the worn lines. Sometimes he used to have his daughter run it out for him both to take it off and replace the line. One year while putting up Christmas lights they found a piece of line carefully woven into a nest. No nesting materiel today, he wrapped up all his old line and carried it to the garbage. Placing a small weight on the tip of each line, he tested the casting of each pole. He then put on a few hooks and sinkers to have each ready for action.





He drove down past a park he used to visit as a kid. It was different a bit, but he came here often enough he enjoyed the gradual change. He liked the feel of the land and the spirit it created while out there. Looking at a few trees he wondered how big they were when he first saw them. He laughed at the silly play they did while as kids. The sandbar on the river was a beach, and up and down the river they played. He sometimes fished but the mud and water called out to him to explore. Clam shells and rocks always went home, prized treasures he still picked up. He sat on a washed out tree and listened to the water pass quickly. He could almost hear all the laughter he shared in this area. A smile swept over his face and his memories floated along the ripples of the river and across the plains.




































20 comments:

  1. Steve,
    I love the first photo...very delicate and pretty! The birds are so cute!
    Now about that story; you paint a great visual image of the man with my favorite being the last part where he's exploring at water's edge and seeing a sweet smile upon his face!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots! Your story reminds me a bit of my dad. He loves to fish & I could just picture him up early getting his rods ready for a good morning of fishing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Click on the warbler and sparrow pics. I know they are small, but migratory sightings are fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those red-winged blackbirds. I have yet to see a cardinal here. Soon, I hope. Lovely photos. The buffalo is a statue, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many beautiful photos,some favorites here. I thought that buffalo was real, he's great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures did indeed bring up memories. I actually felt as if I were out in the open country when I was a little girl. I could not see your yellow-rumped warbler no matter how much I enlarged the picture. I guess I need to get off to the eye doctor, hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first picture is just lovely. I had to enlarge the image of the yellow-rumped warbler in order to see it. And then I wondered at the knowledge of anatomy by the person who named it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am on my way to haul out my poles. Sounds like a good way to end this day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always good to see a picture of Lily included.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very relaxing story this time. Always a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good picture of a bison! A great story to start the weekend with, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning Steve, played catch-up today as I was running behind on blogs this week. The pussy toes are so aptly named and must feel just as soft - never seen one. Glad the days have improved after the storms. We had rains and high winds, but no damages other than a few downed branches. I enjoyed the story of the lady diner and surprising strangers is something more folks should try to do. It can make your own day a little brighter and surely will do the same for them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...your little dog is so cute! ...and super cool buffalo! I'm so happy the migrants are starting to move through. Last evening Rick and I saw a Northern Parula, Black and White, Baltimore Oriole, Prothonotary...Blue-grays...yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds as though he could add THAT wonderful day to his memories as well.
    Like the owls setting the wonderful-ness of the day.....
    I also hope you weren't standing THAT close to the buffalo? Or is he a pet?;))

    ReplyDelete
  15. You got a nice collection of birds here Steve. Those Nuthatches are so pretty. I've never seen any Warblers here. That little woodpecker is so dainty looking. It looks like a young one. But I'm not too good at birds like that. I always like to see your little doggie..he's cute.
    We finally got a beautiful spring day here today. Take care and have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the blooms, birds, and other critters! The barn is cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Steve, that bison shot is amazing!! I really enjoyed your story tonight. Very colorful.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!