Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A New Age


I thought this coat was getting small from my overfeeding someone, but with the latest trim it hangs kind of loose. She took it off the other day while traveling, I am not sure how, but she is very adaptable to many things.

This female Lesser Scaup only had a small area not frozen in this pond to swim in what seemed rather frantic circles. The rest of the flock was down on the lake where it had given them a small pool to rest in. They are only spring visitors to this area.













She had spent most of the day cutting thistle out of the pasture. They were such pretty and interesting blossoms it seemed a waste to discard this terrible invader. Her new car was to arrive today and her husband had gone to town to work on a new home while her sister worked at the nearby slaughterhouse. It was hard work but she so enjoyed this beautiful meadow. It was a remnant of the huge prairie that encompassed this land. It was a new land in a land that was nearly timeless.

The crops were doing well this year and she had some extra time to attend to the yearly maintenance needed this time of year. She took some time to take a nice nap over the noon hour. Fairies peeking through the windows, watched and played around her, in delight of the awakened prairie bloom. She woke thinking she heard laughter, but drifted off asleep, continuing her labor in her dreams.

A honking sound came down the lane and she raced to see the new automobile. It gleamed and sparkled as it came to a halt. The fresh leather smelled exotic, combined with a dusty hat smell from the engine. She sat in the seat and let the breeze flow through her hair, ever so gently as they drove down the lane to show off the auto. A horse reared, startled at the end of the lane and it was her sister returning from work. She slowed the horse down and got off, both girls circling the new auto in an embrace. She tied up her horse and they soared down along the creek road, honking at all the neighbors. Children tried to race them as they drove, but they were left behind in a cloud of dust. The dust sifted out over the prairie carried on a gentle breeze.
.
..
.
To be passionate about living
Doesn't mean you can hold or touch
All that is a part of your life
Yet if you try really hard
All can be held dear to your heart.









22 comments:

  1. I have read this post twice. Almost a reverie. Reminds me of something, not quite sure what? But whatever it is, it feels good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your story. :)

    The longhorn cattle were a special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful read....takes one back to better(?) times. I think i would prefer the horse....

    Like that 1st photo. Something makes me keep looking at it. Maybe because I wish I was Out on the Prairie....

    Thank you for your comment on my post today. It was encouraging. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More beautiful photographs from you again.
    Thank you for sharing them.
    And I cant find words to comment about the beautiful story you have published.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  5. That deer looks poised for flight. I'll bet you didn't get a chance at a second photo. :)

    You seem to find the prettiest fungi to photograph. That gray one with the taupe stripes on the edges is one of the prettiest I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shots of trees and deer and horses. Life on the prairie looks very pretty indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that deer photo. A cautious backward glance. The bark patterns in the trees are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you brought the magic- again!



    Aloha from Honolulu


    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  9. those are some amazing tree trunks. I looked at that one and it reminded me of two birds sitting on a branch. Don't ask me how I came up with that, sometimes I just don't know...lol
    Lily is adorable in her coat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve, this post and yesterdays showing the trees and fungi were interesting. There is such beauty in simple sights in nature and you manage to show it to all. Lily's new haircut looked great - such beautiful eyes that we can see now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful group of photos as usual. I especially like the the Longhorn. I have sent Birds and Blooms a few photos, I am getting comments emailed to me, but I don't see the photos on the web site, do you know how that would be happening :)? The comments tell me that they are visible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a lovely, refreshing post. Love the loooooooooooooooooong horns!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all your photos, from the deer to the horses and steer and that little squirrel. Even those tree mushrooms are amazing. And of course I loved your story. I could picture the kids running after the car in the dust..ha! Reminded me of when I was young and we lived in the country. We never had a car but my Aunt would come with her new, shiny ones and give us a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did you get that deer to pose for you? Where are the Longhorns at? They are nicely posing too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Steve, that last bit of poetry is so true. It is just what I needed to hear today. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. The first tree knot photograph looks like a crested duck in a nest, resting its head upon its wing. :)

    I loved the snippet of story - I could really picture those characters and see the dust kicked up from the car. And the poetry was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought the knobs on that tree were ducks at first glance! Love all of these shots Steve....especially, Lily....
    Happy day!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the shots of the tree knots. Enjoyed your story so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this poem! And some very beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love those gnarly old trees, enjoyed all the animal photos, and in your previous post I could just kiss the nose of your little dog. She is as cute as a button. Enjoyed reading your latest story from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful photos!

    I loved reading your story--I could picture the scene so well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great pictures ! I love your story.
    The deer is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!