Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Trying Times

Trisha at http://roundabout.blogspot.com/ recently had a quest to see what five things you always need when you leave the house. I laughed since my van is also part office when I travel. This time of year I always have a duffel with three days of clothing and toiletries, a pair of skates, a bag with food and treats for Lily, lots of camera stuff, a sleeping bag, and a warm jacket. When warmer months arrive the skates leave and fishing equipment replaces it. Then a roomy big cabin tent, folding chairs and a cot fit in also. What a mess you say, but it has the comforts of home, since it can become my home. I am late to tag five more people so I will say, Linda, Betsy, Beatrice, Allison and Ginny. If you weren't chosen and would like to try this let me know, I think it is a fun way to explore our lives. Visit Trisha and be amazed what her site has to offer.





I am still baffled what this critter was, the full set of tracks are below in two pictures.It was four-legged and seemed to hop. The prints are about the size of your finger.




There are times that this little dog seems to be part pig. With recent cold she eventually stops and wants carried to a warm car. You would think she would figure what makes her so cold, but it is just too fun for both of us.


" She died," was the first I heard on my phone in a tearful female voice. I wasn't sure who it was but said,"Do you want me to come?" " Yes, that would be real nice," she said." I will leave in a few minutes", I said. I hung up and had to look at my phone list to see who exactly had called. I was fairly sure between two ladies and found it was one of them. I shaved and showered, heading off for a one hundred mile drive. I had lost one of the people I had planted a pink flower garden for strength the past three years.
.
It is hard to keep composure for me when I hear tears in a voice sometimes. I asked a lady in a class I had how she handled it. She said she often got out another box of tissues. This was a family I had known for quite some time and had grown fond of through the years. In this type of situation it is hard not to become a part of their lives even more. I knew there were a number of children running between distraught parents and I would be the wrangler of these tiny little angels.
.
I thought of all the stories I had heard on the ride up and smiled how our lives were similar, yet so distant in many things. We were drawn together with a sharing of thoughts and all of us knew how we would go separate ways. I arrived at the home, and offered some advice to get some clothes and where to go shop and pushed them out of the door. After a few hours I laughed not knowing their cell phones as well as they probably didn't have mine. We went through a lot of Cheerios, cheese, animal crackers, formula and milk. I looked around and found some things to fix for lunch, but couldn't eat myself. The kitchen was a mess, as well as the house, just to put it lightly. Family wasn't ever big on housework, especially through these trying times . I set to work on scrubbing, dishes and laundry when I had a free moment to leave .
.
When family got home they were worn out, and I asked about fixing dinner, but was met with a no. The kids were eating more of what they had earlier and were set for bed soon. I wandered around and asked if they needed anything else in the next few days, and was told no, not until Saturday. I said my bed would feel better and to call me at home if anything else was needed. A weak thank you was offered and I headed down the cold dark highway remembering how this had happened before, but I was always glad to be able to offer some solace and help.
.
I will go up on Friday and get a nice room. I have asked a few people to join me for the kids, I was worn with what I had, and I am sure the numbers will double. This is the place I am needed with this family, each have certain needs I like to cover. I often tell the story of a family who didn't have many members left, or any particular church they would use. I offered my help thinking maybe I could pall bear or even offer an eulogy. They pondered and then said, "Could you get this lift chair out to the truck?" I laughed and said it was very heavy and they could donate it to the house they were at, and they smiled and said that would work.
.
When I am out on the prairie again, I will hold out my hands and offer health and happiness to all I have met and love.Often I say the names of those who come to my mind special, many of you have been there with me. The souls of the past blend with those of the future,my strength returns, and the happiness is carried on a gentle prairie breeze.












15 comments:

  1. You are a very kind and giving friend... to take care of the kids and the daily things of the house like dishes and laundry... that was real hands on help which I'm sure they will remember with a smile and a sigh of relief in better days (not that you want them to...but they will.) That moment to be "out on the prairie" sounds lovely...
    Blessings,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an emergency bag packed for quick overnighters. I have an extra mala, travel candles, febreze, rain poncho...girl stuff!!! Your pictures are awesome! Lily is a hoot...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its has been fun see what we all carry with us each day.Thanks for sharing :)

    Your dog looks like she's having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a pretty good setup. We try to keep some 'survival' type stuff in the car with us too, since we've had plenty of times when things went awry. Definitely a sleeping bag and clothes, water, food...
    Oh yeah. well. we were in Texas in December for a couple weeks. back in Mississippi now, on and off in Tennessee...and I head back to Texas in 3 weeks until July..I know, my whereabouts are extremely confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...you capture some really bright shots of Red, and I love the shots of the snow-covered dog!! What a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking maybe chipmunk tracks?

    Your dog is hilarious. What a character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would say that you and Lily are the perfect team.
    What a good friend you are. Good luck with all those kids, I don't know if I could do it anymore...lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve, sorry for your loss.

    Your van looks a bit like my husband's truck -- only his is packed with ironworker tools and clothes.

    I asked him what he thought about the tracks (he used to trap quite extensively) and he said thought it might be a squirrel.

    Love the photos and of course, your prose. Have a peaceful weekend, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you're going to ask what are those things we usually bring when leaving the house, space wont be enough LOL, like you, we bring a LOT of stuff! Okay, we bring comforters, tent, clothes, toiletries, camera, chairs, portable stove, pillows, FOOD, ice bucket whew, RC planes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Steve. I've seen those tracks before. Could be the mystical Jackalope. We have them here in our woods. We may do a 'Whats in your car?' post soon. Just have to get Beatrice's Viking to come over...

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to have a true friend to call on in a time of such need, I'm sure your practical hands-on help was priceless.

    That little pooch of yours is utterly adorable, such a sweetie.

    The only thing I try never leave the house without is either cash or a credit card (and I often forget even that). I'd never make a good boy scout (blush)..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why did I not see this post yesterday? Arrrg! Goody on being tagged... I'm on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Steve, Very thought provoking and compassionate posting. I'm a couple of days behind in reading, so this is catching up time. The male cardinal is my absolute favrotie bird at the feeders and it's the VA state bird as well - how nice since we're living here now.

    I just read also that I was in the list of folks to name what 5 things we always carry when we leave the house. This may take a bit of thought and maybe a photo because it depends largely on where I'm going and doing on any given day cause it can be different stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are as prepared as any boy scout. :-)

    What a wonderful friend you are to help out like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How about a weasel or mink? I've been there during a time of loss and my heart goes out to you, it's tough. Lily is so sweet and such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!