Sunday, February 13, 2011

Back Home

Northern Cardinals



Downy Woodpecker

Tufted Titmouse


White-breasted Nuthatch









Walking into the station there was a lot of activity going on. Hands were being shaken, hugs were everywhere, and she did not see a soul she knew. Walking around she wondered how the family would find her in all of this commotion. Someone waved at her it seemed, but walked right past her and grabbed a friend. She looked hoping to find her connection to this new old land. She smiled thinking of her uncle burning a bit of cedar bark and thanking the land for all it gave them. He worked for the railroad now, and she wondered how he survived in this type of atmosphere each day. She was hungry having shared stories and foods she liked with her friend on the train.

She heard someone call her name and turned around to see a family with two children coming toward her. She hoped this wasn’t for someone else again and they came right up to her. Introducing everyone they helped her with her suitcase and headed toward a wagon. She wanted to ask so many questions, but there wasn’t enough time. Driving through the city she was amazed at the sprawl of all the homes. They pointed out the college and she wondered how many buildings would have her classes, or if they were in the same one. She mentioned seeing someone that looked like her brother and they laughed at the possible semblance. The father explained many cultures made up the present generations. His family spanned numerous countries she had only read about and he had never visited.

They stopped at the home she would be staying at and dropped off all of her belongings and took the initial tour of the area. Walking only a few blocks they were back at the college and she felt baffled at what to do next. Tomorrow they would go and sign her in, but tonight they wanted her to join them at their home for meal and to get questions that she had sorted out. She asked if they knew where her People had lived and they shook their heads, not sure where that could even be. There was someone at the college who could maybe help her with that they felt and the evening became just like one she would have had at home. The wealth of love in this family was shared, as well as various stories of their families background and the laughter spread throughout the house, She was happy to be here, but sad to be away from her family for a first time. She offered a prayer to the stars and they shared it on a gentle prairie breeze.
.
.
.
Who teaches us to know right from wrong
What comes along and makes us strong
Where does life become reality every day
When do we know the right way to say
Thanks to the one who makes it that way.














19 comments:

  1. Wow.....spring is springing it seems:)))

    That first picture looks surreal.....you are quite the photographer! Always at the right place and time!
    :)
    Have a wonderful new week!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cardinals are gorgeous. I've only seen one here a couple of times and it didn't stay for very long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those red birds sure do stand out don't they?? Beautiful! I noticed the Tufted Titmouse at your feeders, I have not seen one of those in years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story! I assume she's an exchange student? I bet that is how someone would feel in that situation. Glad you had the family being so 'loving'! I liked that best.

    Your pictures of the birds were very pretty too! We finally had a beautiful & sunny weekend; I didn't see any bird yet though.

    Have a Wonderful week, Steve! ~ Coreen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, these critter pics are just lovely. I loved the pair of fox squirrels in the tree. The Eastern Gray squirrels in our neighborhood seem to have driven out all other squirrels. I enjoy them, but I kind of miss the others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the cardinals are even more red against the tree colors than the snow! How amazing is that red anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I like the pictures of birds. Next thing I wanted to do, is to capture photos of these little birds in particular. Each of your bird photos has a story to tell and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really like the photos and the writings. You say you can be reached but how do I find an email address or phone number?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful writing and gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delightful!

    Dare we believe that Spring may be just around the corner?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you noticed the birds are now singing sweetly and not squawking? Sping is near.
    Great story..
    Have a tiggeriffic day~! ta ta for now from Iowa:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some of my favourite creatures. Your photos are always so fine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that black and white bird, Steve. What is it? And pardon my bluntness, but are those squirrels.... doing it? Goodness. I've never seen that before! Happy Valentine's Day indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This story really has me wondering. Who are her people? Where is she from? Who is her new family? Where have her people gone?

    I hope there is more coming!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I write People or the People I refer to Native Americans. They often had many homes before being totally displaced. Only a few tribes returned and bought their own lands.I think those squirrels are siblings, one of which bit me good a few weeks ago.If you need to contact me let me know your contact or click on my picture on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ack! the two squirrel buddies together, cute :) Nice post, enjoyed the story too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Steve, all those photos are brilliant! You are truly a master!
    I hope she finds her people; don't we all need to be surrounded by family? or at least those who treat us like family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely stunning photos, Thank you Steve for the offer of the photos, If I use them for reference I will give you and your blog credit. I haven't felt like painting in a while but seeing these photos have inspired me, thanks!
    I can imagine how that new teacher felt, they sure had to be brave.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed your series of pictures and your story.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!