Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Gentle Prairie Breeze

A golden find, a bloom out on the lake after numerous killing frosts.It is maybe a mustard, I haven't looked it up, I'm still trying to get laundry done and all from playing out in the wilds.

Doe, a deer, a female deer, who are very dear to me.







The cool wind blew in from the prairie gently caressing her cheeks. A letter had arrived and her sister needed help on her farm and wondered if her nephew was available to help plant. He had moved west with some friends, but the job sounded better than her meatpacking job, where she worked on the kill floor. She started a letter immediately and was on the train in a few weeks.

When the train steamed in her sister grabbed her on the steps like she had never held her, and told her how happy this made her. They laughed at old tales all the way out to the farm. Fairies floated on their elegant grace, a lifetime of happiness shared again. The rocking of the buggy carried a cadence with a chant carried across the prairie, on the tips of the flower petals and raised high by the grasses.

That night all four of them slept in the same bedroom, a family reborn. They talked until each slowly drifted off in a blissful mood. Strength came in through the window and joined this new family, bound by traditions carried down through centuries. The strength of the prairie is bound with these traditions, intertwined with neighbor helping neighbor.Getting up in the morning they walked the farmland and discussed how to plant. They sat in the meadow and watched a leopard frog appear and disappear just as startlingly fast, on a sojourn journey to another home, a new life in this very old land. Bobolinks sang out a chorus from various points held on this prairie, while each other bird offered various parts to this wonderful opera.
The day went fast and the night settled in with the brightest stars and near full moon. She stripped some cedar bark off a tree earlier in the day, just as her grandfather would, and set it into the candle. When it caught flame she held it to the north until it began to smolder. She offered thanks to the Sun, Moon, Stars and Life, waving the smoldering bark under her chin and holding it to each of the four winds. They each shared the cedar and rejoiced over their happiness and compassion, which drifted off slowly with a gentle prairie breeze.
...
..
.
Somewhere in the darkness
A light showed again
Offering strength and wisdom
Carried over this gentle land.








24 comments:

  1. What wonderful captures, and your writing is always captivating!!!
    I can't imagine being out in the wild camping right now.....so cold here. I hope your time away was restful and peaceful to you!!!

    As for those butterfly houses....I honestly don't know if they are being "used". I have yet to capture one butterfly coming out or going in. Must keep my eye on it better next summer.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last photo is really nice. Great deer pics as well. I really liked the story.

    Burning (smoldering) cedar bark is a Native American tradition. A lot of tribes in New England used this as a way of saying thanks and connecting with those that guide them. Seems to be rather ubiquitous amongst various Native American nations, at least from what I've seen.

    Were you trying to convey that these people were part Native American, or was that just coincidence?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures of the ducks and the deer. I can only imagine how wonderful the scent from the cedar must be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice photography. I am especially fond of deer and you really captured them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are amazing. What a vibrant yellow bloom and the deer, I love them. Used to have deer behind my house in Michigan...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tale of family and connection. I love your photography too.. that deer is indeed dear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love to feed them! What peaceful creatures...
    happy night Steve...
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just a drop in the bucket with Bambi photos.I was able to get closest to the yearlings by keeping my camera on them, but keeping my eyes on the ground.I am wondering about the tiny yellow blooms being a radish seed dropped in the middle of nowhere.I guess I should have tasted a seed pod, I like to use them in stir fry and salads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the photos are beautiful, but that yellow flower, when enlarged, is just gorgeous. I like the sky shot at the end, too. You do good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    Really nice photos of the deer. As you know I love deer. Were they just hanging out in the wilderness somewhere or was that a park?

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post made me think of my sister and how much I miss her! So uplifting, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great captures of the deers.Google translalor is not very correct but I can undestand what you have written.

    ReplyDelete
  13. those sunrays are beautiful, cute deer and mallards too! (ohh the salamanders..they're still around here. we just had some good rains so i figured they'd be easier to find..gonna try again this weekend I think. I'd love to see a Tiger and a marbled)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It made me think of my sister and how precious is time with family too

    ReplyDelete
  15. The prairie is in my dna! Love your photos very much~gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very few people have experienced what it would have been like back in the horse and buggy days. The days of riding to school in a caboose with a wood-burning stove, pulled by a horse, travelling over snow drifts are gone. Oh, and the caboose would tip over regularly because the brother procrastinated, started out on the trip too late, tried to rush , but, he and his sister would still be late for school.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your deer photos. The days of the horse and buggy are gone. How many can remember travelling to school in a caboose pulled by a horse. The caboose would regularly tip over when travelling over the snowdrifts, and became a fire hazard with the wood-burning stove inside.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh, I loved that story! "Fairies floated on their elegant grace, a lifetime of happiness shared again." Your writing is so eloquent, beautiful words. Deer, ducks, flowers and sky, a lovely combination of photos, pure delight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aaah, Denise beat me to it..."Fairies floated on their elegant grace, a lifetime of happiness shared again" is so very visual. You writing always is.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a serene post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wonderful captures! i never catch a deer,so close...congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. beutiful ...nice catch...clear shot ...well done my friend

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like to come back to see the next story, the photography, your thoughts ...the atmosphere you created here is very pleasant to me!
    Please have a great weekend!
    Regards!
    Photographis

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Somewhere in the darkness
    A light showed again
    Offering strength and wisdom
    Carried over this gentle land." .... I love these verses. You are really a good writer.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!