Thursday, October 28, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls!



Just hearing the name cinnamon roll, makes me hungry and ready to eat. These delicacies have stayed as one of my favorite foods for years. When I see one on a menu that I have never tried, there is a good chance I will try one. I normally find out who the baker is, it is a necessity to be made right on the premises.

Just the thought can make me visualize that dough rising and the smell of them cooking. There is a touch to make perfect dough, which seems to come with experience. I have tried a variety of recipes and wish I had one of the best I ever enjoyed, my mom’s. This is the roll that I use as my comparative to all others I eat. The very best that I took for granted growing up.

As a kid my mother would get out a huge earthenware bowl and begin her labor of love. Nothing was going to be measured except perhaps the number of packets of yeast she used. When we were younger she sometimes passed us a piece of the dough to play with. We would roll it, form it in a variety of shapes, while she worked her magic. And magic it would be, twelve to thirteen dozen rolls would come out of her little kitchen. Pans would be sitting all around the house, letting their sweet dough rise to perfection. She would call all the mothers and tell them she was making them, and not to make a huge dinner for the kids. All the kids were invited to our home for a feast, as many as you wanted. There wasn’t going to be that long wait for dinner after school, they were hot and ready to eat when we came home.

For parents that we also took for granted, I had one of the best on those special days. Who cared if they had parents at home, many were ready to join our home. With a large family many had shared our table, my mom just said, "I will just put another potato in the pot." Holding our stomachs after eating our fill of cinnamon rolls often involved telling how many one ate. It may be a while before she made more, so it was nice to have a break before gorging ourselves on too many again. They all disappeared on the day they were made.

When I moved away from home, I started looking for a big earthenware bowl to make breads in. I thought it was all in the bowl, and was surprised to find you could make a smaller batch than what I had seen done at home. Many times I had these gourmet delights mailed to me and even made instead of a cake for birthdays. I tried to make my own, but they have never made it close to the real thing, my mom’s.

One day I get a call and hurried to the hospital to find my mom comatose from a severe stroke. She lay on her back for weeks, blankly staring at the ceiling. We took turns sitting with her and I shared my tale with her many times as well as the nurses taking care of her. I made some of my best breads and other goodies to share with these caring people. Time came when we had to make a decision to unplug her ventilator, a hard one to do. It didn’t seem fair to have to let someone go this way. When they pulled out the tube she made a gasping breath and came back to us. She still wasn’t very coherent but we had a parent back, and my father his spouse. Through assorted therapies and a long stay at a care center we took her back to her home. Talking one day she asked me out of the blue if I remembered her cinnamon rolls. The memory returned that she had enjoyed making them. I retold the stories and shared how my friends still asked if she had made them. She smiled at the treasured tales.

A call one-day told me to come over and try a cinnamon roll. It had been over three years since I had had one, and I dropped everything and went running. Sitting in a wheelchair she smiled and told me to help myself, they weren’t good cold. They lacked a lot of the similarity they once had, but I ate until I nearly burst on a pan of true love. I share this story with the happy baker each time I eat one, as I have with you. Would you like another one, they aren’t as good cold.









16 comments:

  1. i love cinnamon rolls... the scent of a cinnamon roll always send me running to the source. I bet your mommy's one is extremely good since so many kids have enjoyed it once upon a time. I wish i was one of them kids that have been there to taste it.

    nothing beats anything that is cooked by love.. especially a labour of love from a mom.

    thank you for sharing the story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story! My mom used to make cinnamon rolls too. I've got a big lump in my throat now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sit here crying, Steve, as I read your story. What a wonderful story; and what a wonderful son! I love making cinnamon rolls for my family. They are such a novelty in Switzerland that I'm lucky to be the only one who makes them, so there's no competition. ;) Come to think of it... I think I'll bake a big pan tonight, to remember your mom and to bring joy to my family. Thank you for such a meaningful post. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! I have a thing for sugar, and your cinnamon rolls sound like they are primo. (Your story is beautiful...it made my eyes tear up...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had to laugh 2 weeks ago getting up for a small church sale and breakfast with one thing on my mind. The lady that fixed them came over and hugged me as well as 2 others people just because they know I drove every year to eat their treats. After eating three they asked if I needed a to go order.This is a great time of year to find these celebrations.Next week I will travel 90 miles for another good one.Like the crafts also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm... I love Cinnamon rolls and had a similar mom. We were very blessed and she was too to have a child that appreciated her. Thank you for the warm memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an absolutely beautiful story! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is such a sweet story. I can almost smell the cinnamon. I'm also now very hungry for a warm cinnamon roll, I love those things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you stopped by Clay and Limestone! Have a sweet weekend filled with cinnamon buns and wildlife~~gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your visit. I can never get enough deer pictures either. I just love them and all of nature! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Steve (glad I read your name in a previous reply and don't have to OOTP) this was a touching and loving story full of good memories, despite the sadness. Cinnamon rools are favories of mine too and I have yet to try and make them, but recently found a recipe and may try them. If it succeeds, I will post it on our blog. Your mom was very special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love your photos and your story. I love the photos of the deer and the ducks in the water. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cinnamon rolls, ahhh, the ultimate comfort food. Your photos are outstanding, love the special effects on the rose one, we saw a huge flock of pelicans on Coralville Lake the other day but only a glimpse while driving on the interstate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A touching story for sure. There is nothing like great memories of loved ones; especially your own mother. You are so lucky to have had such a nice family to grow up in. Thanks for sharing this memory, now to go downstairs and make some cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love cinnamon rolls too. and just like you just the words make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom made some wonderful cinnamon rolls too if she had enough dough left over from her loaves of homemade bread and knots (long dough strips tied into a half-knot and baked like a roll). I have wonderful memories of watching her bake... :)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!