Monday, September 20, 2010

Loving times





This is the newest of asters to bloom( picture below) a tiny flower about 1/2 inch across. Many of you have said how you enjoy these so I posted a few pics of mostly asters, which vary in color even with the same varieties. They are a fall bloomer and tell me summer is almost gone.I haven't shared a prairie story for a few weeks so thought I would post one of those today. Over the weekend I stopped at a Amish cheese shop and got some Prairie Breeze cheese.







Having married and moved to their new home while everything was frozen, she thought back to that season when their life started together. So much had changed around them and within their own lives. There had been many times she wished maybe to have been back in the city, but by now she had fallen in love with this beautiful land, and the people that lived around them.
They followed the tracks up the well-worn path and then up the frozen stream. The heifer was stuck in the ice, and had pretty much given up trying to get out, exhausted fully. He ran back to get a horse and ropes, while she lay next to it in the frigid night, offering motherly advice, When they got back to the barn her clothes were frozen and she was chilled to the bone, but had saved meat for their table.

He fixed her some tea and started heating water for a bath. She got out of the filthy clothes and bundled up under all the quilts in their room. It reminded her of making tents with these same spreads. The smell was still there. The warm water soothed her aches, and they talked about their parent’s similar exploits. Sharing family heritage soothed her nerves, she was the historian and always liked to review the facts. The stars listened and nodded always aware of how we are all living happily. They kept each other warm all night, never fully warding off the chill, but not caring.

That morning she carried him coffee while he mended the fence. The coil reeled back and cut down the side of his face deeply. She took him home and sewed the cut with her smallest needle. It took fourteen stitches, but this stopped the bleeding better. They were hours from a doctor, and had little cash to use for payment. He wasn’t sure what hurt worse, but thanked her caring attitude. She finished the fence and they laughed the pain away.

The next few days he took it easy, helping her decorate the house for the holiday. The gaiety of their spirits soared to new heights, having found a little bit of new in each other sharing and caring. The days spun around each other and shared the spirit to calm the harsh prairie wind. The sun came out and warmed them as they gathered wood for a fire, she slipped and dropped her armful. He placed them all on his, proud to help her out and show his prowess. He stumbled on the last piece and she picked all the wood up and carried it to the house, smiling the biggest smile. This smile trickled past his face, on a gentle prairie breeze.





19 comments:

  1. Lovely story and pictures. That 4th picture is stunning - the colors - the composition. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flowers AND story! Reminds me of my beloved Little House books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful story. The pictures are beautiful as always and I agree with Kass that 4th one is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful story with great pictures to along with it!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the input, these are taken from actual interviews of families I have met who live on the prairie.I enjoyed usually talking to the head of the family who was the historian, as the lady in this story.She would be in her 90's now, I met her when she was 89.That 4th shot I took yesterday, even with fog and bad weather I felt I needed a good hike.Hey I didn't melt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is love at all times and everywhere......
    And accompanying the lovely photographs..
    this great moving story.... full of love..
    Have a great evening...
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  7. great story.. the pics fit so well...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the story, simple but very interesting. Sounds like countryside life. What's heifer?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Asters. I have a pot in the garden here and always wondered what they are called :) Now i can address them when i see them in the garden.. thanks to you.

    Beautiful story :) as always.. i enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been waiting for another prairie story! This one says so much about how love helps make life bearable.
    I love the photos. Asters are such pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very insightful writing, and a look into someone's intimate past. The 4th picture of the prairie grasses is my favorite... how I miss the Plains.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful serie of photos.
    As soon as I can I try to read your writting, but I have no time this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how wonderful that you are gathering these stories, they are so precious to keep. I love these Asters. What does Prairie Breeze cheese taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by my little nature blog. Mostly because I got to look yours over. Great pictures and the prose and poetry touches the heart. Methinks (although I'm retired) we have a lot more in common that just living not too far from the Big River and enjoying flowers and troutfishing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. a post full of color and joy!! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely story indeed !
    Before watching on the TV the movie "Witness" with Harrison Ford which makes me know the community Amish I only knew the Quakers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful photos. I love fall asters and the fall season in general.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The story is as beautiful as the asters and so are coupled together nicely. Your writing is elegant and shows the warmth of life. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

    Bill:www.wildramblings.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a lovely story... thanks for sharing. those beautiful photos of asters are gorgeous but of course i love the photo of the barn. and i wonder how does the prairie breeze cheese taste like.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!