Friday, August 13, 2010

The Brenda Photo Challenge- DIRT

If you haven't tried this challenge I suggest you get involved. It is always fun to shoot in group and compare your images.Here we all shoot with the same theme and post our entries so all can enjoy on a set date. There has always been an intrigue with what shapes and colors I have found in a various soils. I have one friend who studies sands from around the world. Here in Iowa some of the dirt is called black gold for its uses in agriculture. This silt was placed by floods , many of our rivers and streams are at record levels with flash floods all over the state. I enjoy the shapes it makes when drying, almost like a jigsaw puzzle.


A passing shot of the Mudman, similar in legend to Bigfoot, often found roaming along the river banks. Perhaps you say it is only a legend, but I have heard a number of stories about him, and various names like, Wapsie Willy.


Rain has left it's impression on this clay, molding and shaping it with intricate patterns.


Can you guess what made this? A piece of art left for all to enjoy along the river bank.


And what would be a better way to finish off my challenge , but one of the famous crazy mountain men of the prairie, Pig Pen. He is known for a number of valiant attempts to become civilized and make himself a refined gentleman that all the ladies would consider a treasure.

24 comments:

  1. Ha! You would fit right in with our little southern mud babies down here. I really like your take on dirt. Very interesting and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I saw mud like in that first picture was when I was a kid. It had been drying and the top layer began to curl up. We would peel it up off the rest and slowly break it apart. It was like little tiles. A fun experience for a kid. When I saw the picture of the Mudman, I thought of another incident when I was a kid. My little brother was completely covered in mud, and my mom took a picture of it. So you can imagine that I just laughed right out loud when I saw that last picture of yours. That is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Pig Pen has taken facials to a whole new level. LOL I bet that dried his face out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool dirt shots! Are you the Mud Man?:-D)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post. That's right, wind and rain make beautiful and curious things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha Pig Pen is soo dirty! Well mudpack they say is good for the skin, but eww!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well at least with that mud mask he should have a good complexion. Nice series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. That last one shows just how much you get in to your assignments :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahaaa...Nice finish!!LOLOL
    LOVE the shots! We see the same patterns here as well from the heat...
    Mudman? Cool!! But, I wouldn't want to run into him!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the textured patterns when dirt dries! Wonderful idea to feature that! And pig pen is quite scarey, hahahaha!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you do a mud pack you do need clean dirt, preferably clay. This is without organic matter decomposing so it smells like...well strong.It was nice of Pig Pen to get the stable clean, it is a dirty job, but someone has to do it. Will have to buy him lunch ,if he can cleanup his act a bit.I have had fun looking over the other posts, Brenda your mud babies look like me at that age every time we went out to the river.I also played a lot of mud volleyball, where our team always started out in white. They dug a pit and filled it with a slurry mix, with the fire dept. there to hose us off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures of dirt. That first picture is awesome! It looks like some great artwork to use as a background for just about anything. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is some cool lookin' dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that is dirt at it finest:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice photos! Dig the dirt. Would love to see some dry soil soon :).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow those are amazing. Don't see it like that here. Great job! ~jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, friend is this what you call mud pack? (lol)Great photos though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pictures. I fear I might have nightmares of Mud Man now though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. VERY CREATIVE!!!!!!!! LOVED them all!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!