Monday, July 26, 2010

A Silly Party For A Dog

This is a funny story about a friend of mines dog, Duke. On the 29th it will be his third birthday, and Ann, his owner, has planned a blogger birthday for this spoiled little dog. Now if you haven't been to Ann's Snap and Scrap, http://annssnapeditscrap.blogspot.com/, you may have met her on a variety of blogs she follows. It is always fun to read her blog and keep track of what she has to offer. Many of us who are now without children in the home take pride in our pets. Studies show that they help us cope with the everyday conflicts in our lives. I'm not sure of how many pets this study involved , since I have a house full, thanks to my children. Now I go everywhere with my little dog,Lily, she even fits well under an airplane seat. I showed boxers for years and they take up way too much room and had to ride as cargo. Plus the cleanup was terrible. When I moved where I am now I said my next pet was going to be ceramic, I didn't need anyone or anything to hold me down. This seemed to mean give your cats to him. I have two who live out at the horse barn and four in my home.My dog keeps them in line for me , so that is why she is man's best friend. So back to the big bang, the party of the year, perhaps one of the biggest I have been to since...........well since I was at yours last, but that is another story.


Lily can show Duke some bad habits, she rules the roost in the backyard. Here she is ready to get a squirrel or cat in her remake of ,"Children of the Corn."

For the dog that has everything I wasn't sure outside of a good meal what he needed. I figured it was okay to get him something he didn't possibly have, a whatchamacallit. Now you are already thinking, don't give dogs chocolate, it's not good for them. If that is so , then why do they beg for it all the time, don't they know what's good for them?


Okay we can have nutrition at it's finest. Lets start with some guacamole tostadas. Never had one, well mine are the best. These have corn, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, and red onion all from my garden.Next I top with avocado,sour cream, four kinds of cheese and lettuce.


While you eat these I am finishing off a small meal with what we call "Iowa Chops." These are pork loin chops cut 1 1/2 inches (3.81 cm), grilled topped with teriyaki and minced garlic, then smoked with some hickory, a native tree here in Iowa. I am keeping it small since Ann is a baker and will have some great desserts. I wonder if she knows how to make Suicide Chocolate Cake, Miniature Italian Pastries, Banoffe Pie, a good Flan or perhaps some Kolaches? I like this part of the meal best, topped off with a good espresso. Well Happy Birthday Duke!!!
Steve, Lily, Puddinhead, Boy, Sicily, Nuisance, Tripper and Rascal



14 comments:

  1. I jsut knew chockolate was good for me. If my body asks for it it just seeems natural that it must be. Great post and story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me loves banoffee pie so much! I tried to make one but it's a flop so I went back to buying! Anyway, I too have lots of pets at home, I have 3 adopted dogs all black, a lab, a chihuahua, a poodle and I also have 3 adopted kitties! I love them so much, they make me smile and laugh especially in times when I feel low. About the chocolates, I know it's bad for them but I just gave a piece to Tiger(chihuahua) and he hid it from the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post has made me hungry!
    My two Kitties and I will be at Duke's party. See you there!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMM the tostadas look delicious! Happy birthday Duke!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like you need a recipe as they sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jsut knew choccolate was good for me. Great post!@

    ReplyDelete
  7. We look forward to seeing you at Duke's party. Hey...can you bring some of those tostadas with you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, you were the first to arrive. Duke is so happy with his whatchamacallit. He's already taken it off and hidden it. I think he was afraid I would try and sneak a bite. You really outdid yourself with the food there. We all better go for a walk before we finish off with ice cream and cake. Speaking of cake, no I don't know how to make suicide chocolate cake but it sure sounds like a good way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ♪♪Happy Birthday to you,♪♪
    ♪♪Happy Birthday to you,♪♪
    ♪♪Happy Birthday Dear Duke,♪♪
    ♪♪Happy Birthday to you.♪♪

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to Duke. We know he will enjoy all that food and so will we if Duke will share. Great pictures and good food for that great dog. He is a cutey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whatchamacallit might not be good for the Dukester so i'll have it for him :D I wouldn't mind some tostadas and some of the succulent pork chops on the side too.. All these food is making me hungryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.. *LOL* Hope the lil Duke will have a blast today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This party has been the bestest!! I really enjoyed bumping into you. Hope we can stay in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos and an entertaining read! I've enjoyed visiting your blog ... thanks for stopping by at mine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great party guest you are! And what a great blog you have here. I have perused many posts and love the photography of the flowers, butterflies, rainbow and frogs! You even made bindweed look pretty (I have encountered this plant recently in my flower beds and it is a bit aggressive)Like your humor in the Lily post too :)

    So nice stopping by and meeting you!
    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!