Friday, July 30, 2010

Prairie Story 29-New Neighbors

Rosinweed
Bindweed in chicory

Gray Evening Primrose

Somewhere........

Black Swallowtail on Globe Thistle
.
;o)
.



A French family moved next door to them, and she so loved their heavy accents. French traders came through her Indian village when she was young and loved to sit with the children, telling funny tales. Lonely for their own families, the children helped heal some of their homesickness. They were some of the first whites she encountered, there were some stories of some blond visitors from long ago, but nobody was sure if they still were not part spirit, from the exciting tales told about them.
Her tribe has been moved twice over the prairie. Where they had once roamed free, would become lost and unseen, never to watch the waves crest over the tall grasses again.

Her Grandmother kept a watchful eye on her, when she played in the tall grasses. She told stories of Brother Bear swooping out of nowhere and snatching unwary victims. Hunting parties were often plagued by packs of wolves, testing the warrior’s skills. Their camps followed good hunting, sometimes reuniting with another tribe, sharing the plentiful harvest and trading with each other. Each time they met new tribes, they always exchanged their knowledge of the song of life, and compared how they had arrived on this beautiful land. All were similar, a story can change each time it is told, and must be recreated to discover the true meaning. Fairies swooped closer to the storytellers, hoping to hear something not already heard on the prairie. Spirits danced in the flames of their fires, celebrating the sharing of knowledge, and the continuation of their heritage.


It is that simple commonality and sharing of the spirit that reunites and builds this country. It has been ever changing, sometimes at severe loss to others, such as our Native American friends. She and her husband had been separated and reunited in this land of tall grasses. They had watched and joined the growth and reorganization, trying to tame this once wild world. Now they lived in a capital city, and enjoyed their lives here just as they had on the prairie, but missing the great expanse and gentle prairie breeze, carrying many happy memories.
.
..
.

Why can’t we fully agree
How much better it could be
If we called each other soul mates
But lovers we shall be
Loving each other graciously
Forever and ever, throughout eternity.

13 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures. Did you find a pot of gold at the end of that rainbow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time I see a picture of a rainbow I get distracted from anything else. I love to see them. I have only ever seen two rainbows in my life. I want desperately to get a picture of a rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the butterfly on the thistle.Love the detail on the stems.
    Enjoyed the story. I hope this one is continued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting story. Somewhere alone the way, I got a dab of Indian blood in me and wonder, most of the time, why I do what I do for Nature around me. It seems to come naturally but making a sanctuary out of a bare backyard when we moved here in 1962 to a habitat for wildlife has been an ongoing struggle between what it should be like to what it is like. I know the insects hate roses but admire all sorts of other flowers, so I end up with the "other" in most everything. Anyway, Thanks for your visits and comments. I fixed the bad email link. Had not noticed it before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is about the 4th installment with this family and an introduction to a new one.It does continue to grow and change. In a land once inhabited by Native Americans, how many of the People have you met.As Abe pointed out we are a melting pot of cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome pictures and wonderful story. I feel bad about the loss of Native lands, those of European heritage treated them so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos! I like the rainbow, the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hі! Ι just wanteԁ to ask if you еver
    havе any problems with hackегs?
    Ϻу last blοg (ωordpresѕ) wаs hаckеԁ and I
    ended up loѕing mаny mοnths of
    hard work due to nο data backup. Do уou have any methods tο рrеvent hackeгѕ?


    My ρage: Wso Blackhat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Usually I dοn't read article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, very great post.

    Look at my weblog: wso blackhat
    my web page > jvzoo product of the day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post. I learn something totally new and challеnging on
    webѕites I stumbleupon every day. It's always interesting to read through content from other writers and use something from their sites.

    Here is my web site :: free wso
    My website > Wso Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. Highly dеscriptive ρoѕt, I еnjoyed thаt bіt.

    Will theгe be a part 2?

    Look into my site :: article directory submitter

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!