Friday, July 2, 2010

Prairie Story 24- Lives Changing Everyday

The Skunk Song..........

Well I stuck my head in a little skunks hole, and the little skunk said,"Well bless my soul, take it out, take it out , remove it." Well I didn't take it out like the little skunk said, "If you don't take it out, you'll wish you were dead." Take it out, take it out,s-s-s-s-s, I took it out, too late!

A funny thing happened to me while camping. Many of you know I go everywhere with my little dog, Lily. On my third night she woke me up at 3am and I thought she needed to go outside. I opened my tent just big enough to let her out and lost sight of her, being black and hard to see. I made a kissing sound I use to call her in, so not to wake anyone else. Around the corner came a baby skunk, this was a sound it's mother uses to communicate with babies and it was looking for a meal. I literally pushed it out and called my dog from chasing it. There were others in the area, so as skunks do, made my campsite smell terrible. Luckily it missed my dog and myself, but got my tent on one side. I got up the next day and went fishing and when I came back the kids next to me were waiting for the story to be finished, I had ran into their mom at the showers. Everything inside had a mild case of skunk, even with all the windows open. This cut my trip short and I have spent the day washing everything in vinegar, baking soda and laundry soap. Threw away my pillows and wonder what is next. Soaked the tent all day in the same solution, but went shopping for another just in case. I got lots of great shots, we are flooding all over , but I still found some great places to hang. I will watch what I say late at night from now on.

Butterfly Milkweed





Note how the trees along the bank are out in the water.

.
.
The boys enjoyed playing along this prairie stream. Well-worn paths made it fun to explore regions their friends had played with them, and yet discover new horizons. Crossing a newly fallen log, they found a new land in an old world. They had entered into an entirely different world than what their parents had, born as slaves. They had the freedom to live and learn equally as well as everyone around them living in this once great expanse. With this new bridge, they entered a new kingdom, never entered before by anyone else.

This tranquility was severed, when they came upon a road. Hiding high up in Osage Orange thicket, on a hillside, they could watch all the different people going back and forth. Where had they came from, how would they ever know, for they lay in the thicket giggling and making up stories about all who passed, or at least made sure on nicknames. This was a game they played for the rest of their lives, always looking deeply and finding warmth and humor with their fellow man.

Three clangs of a cowbell meant it was time to come home. Running they tried to guess what their mother was making. Probably some of the fish their father had caught on the stream they played at today. Hopes were high for the cornbread cake they had smelled earlier also, so they ran even faster, to the praises of their mother. A gentle wind carried the wonderful smell of cornbread cake and the love of a mother, out to mingle with a traveling prairie breeze.
.
.
.
Red, white, black, or all shades of brown
We work hard on this prairie and get along
All praises to our friends and neighbors
We help each other in life’s endeavors.







10 comments:

  1. I love the skunk song. I've never heard it before. My husbands dog got sprayed by a skunk one time and my sister in law had told me about something she read in a magazine and it actually worked really well. You mix a bottle of hydrogen peroxide with a box of baking soda and I believe it was Dawn dish soap. Then bathe the dog in it. I suppose it would work on other things too. Might work on the tent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Sorry that you may have to replace your tent and other items. But...your encounter with the baby skunk is very funny.:-D)

    All the pictures are marvelous! Love the shot of the cute skunks the funny song. Your story brought back some memories when I was a kid exploring with my older sister. They were fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story and picture of the skunk are both great. I'd love to be able to get pictures of skunks, but I don't want the risk that goes along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures!
    Every time I make a kissing sound, it attracts some skunk too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the skunks look so sweet as well. What a shame they cut your trip short and made so much work. Funny story though - if you aren't involved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos. My dogs have introduced me to more skunk babies than I care to remember. Ah the vinegar bath... I've found that alternation with tomato sauce helps. The odor that keeps on giving... :-( Thanks for sharing a good story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cute picture, it brought back memories of another place I lived. They aren't afraid to come close to people unfortunately. I didn't know that about the kissing sound I use it to call my dog and cat too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laughed when I found an article about animals that influence our lives in an eastern context. Skunks were good for self-esteem and expressing oneself, so perhaps they will help.LOL Just got back with a 203sq. ft. tent so didn't get it out all the way. Have had fun catching a few sales.When the goings get tough, the tough go shopping.I felt bad pushing the litle fellow out, but another song tells it best, "Stinking to high heaven."Cute 100 feet away.Kass I think you need to work on that call, i am sure you have gotten it right a few times.Have lots more pics to share, I stayed busy whole out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the river photo... beautiful composition. Laughed when I saw the lyrics to the old camp song we used to love to sing... I even remember all the hand motions that go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE IT! Too funny. I've had several run-ins with skunks and fortunately all have ended well and no one and nothing was sprayed. Last night I was sitting on my front porch about 1:00 AM and watched as a momma skunk led her baby up to the pole light to eat the bugs that were attracted to the light. Between the two skunks and their antics and the bat that was swooping and diving I hated to come inside. The mosquitoes demanded I return to the inside though..much to my irritation.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!