Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Oceans of the Past

It is hard to imagine oceans running over a mile deep all over the Midwest where I live. Many of the hills were once reefs teaming with an assortment of shellfish and other amazing marine life.

If you would like more pictures visit my state park Flicker site listed. This cave is very overgrown but a reputed place were rustlers hid. Limestone contains many kinds of caves formed by a variety of processes, some small and some very large.

The woodland plans invade these areas and create an unusual beauty many have not seen .


This is called Ice Cave, but has no ice. Cooled air currents bring down the temp from depths below. It has a stairway to give you easy access to squeeze in and enjoy the temperature change.


I love looking at these cliffs formed and sometime climbing them to catch a glimpse of the past.
In this area you have to watch knocking a loose piece on someone below you.


Taking a rest and enjoying a great place to rest, this doe seems unafraid of humans looking her way. The hillside is so steep, it is probably hard to find a flat area to rest.


This tiny chapel made from the native limestone sits in a large area called the Mines of Spain. Close to the Mississippi lead was mined and taken down to St. Louis, a commodity in colonial America. This was one of the earlier settlements in the area for Europeans. Native Americans had huge communities for centuries before it was invaded by newcomers.


Should I tell this butterfly that leaves of three let it be? A meadow in the wilderness that was once a vineyard. Can you tell me what kind of butterfly I have?


Stairs help climb up to the top of the ridge where I began my trek into this wonderful garden.


This is a tiny tram that takes you from the downtown river area to your home on a Mississippi Bluff in Dubuque, Iowa. The homes are a sight to enjoy , many built in the last part of the 1800's.


A Coast Guard ship used to post buoys and signs to alert the barges and boats traveling the Mississippi where to maneuver. It is a constant job with change of depths along the channels.
.
.
.
.
Just a start on a tour sometimes called Little Switzerland for all it majestic bluffs and rolling hills. I will head back for a week of fun, exploring and fishing for trout. Come along and join me, I know this neck of the woods well.







6 comments:

  1. Just beautiful all of them. Love the one of the stairs going to the top of the ridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that there were any caves in your part of the country. I should have guessed though, with all of the big hills. I like caves a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...I didn't realize there were hills in Iowa! Very pretty area you are visiting. Have fun camping and fishing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful places..very well documented

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann it is so nice to always hear from you.
    Ratty, there are many caves to explore. One I will be fishing in front of,Coldwater Cave, the stream comes from a deep cavern and appears to come out from the cliff.
    Jean, you could become a member of my Reformed Mountain Church, we believe in hills.
    Costea, it is fun sharing visions of each others lands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures, and tour! Your butterfly is a "Hackberry" butterfly. They are very common is woodlands. They will even land on people and lick up the salt in our sweat.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!