Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Big things can come in small packages





When I first moved down here in SE Iowa, one of the first things I said I would have was no pets. In fact I was rather explicit saying my next pet was going to be ceramic. I like to travel a great deal so it wasn't fun to get a sitter every time I needed to go somewhere. Plus I needed my freedom from having to care for them all the time. Well this lasted about eight months.Working in a rental property with a friend it had a self feeding cat coming in a broken window and sleeping in the basement. When I asked if anyone around knew its owner I was met with a rather negative feedback from all of the neighbors, strays being a problem in that area. I took it home, and got the shots and repairs to stop it from being a mother over and over, and had a pet. There are more feral cats in my state than people.Also I now had someone to talk to, somewhat. Cats may act like they listen but are strictly independent. A friend came over and picked it up before I could say much and the cat got her in the lip with a claw.Named this one Lipripper, later to be changed at Christmas to Treetrimmer. It wanted to be out all the time and I was living where it wasn't allowed so a friend said to let it guard her stables.Not a long while later I moved and had more room. By this time I had two more cats and soon a dog. Lily was a tiny dog and I spend a great deal of time enjoying her company, but obviously that wasn't enough. My youngest shows up with three more cats and now I have a zoo almost.It was going to be a temporary home, but now it has been a year and I still maintain the zoo. Thank goodness for friends like Commander in Chief and Crazy Barbara who adore pets so cover me when I am gone with bribes of gifts and money.I really enjoy the critters I see outdoors. I can talk to them, many times will feed them, but never scoop up after them. That's how I wanted it in the first place, but others seem to have other ideas.

2 comments:

  1. I love my two goofy inside cats. They like to bird watch with me. One was feral when I got her at 6 weeks and she still has a wild side that comes out ever so often. I have the scars to prove it. Cute little dog in the wooden shoe. Great wildlife shots. Are those your pets also?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note my B&B avatar is wearing those shoes. That's Lily of the Valley, only about 4 lbs.Send your address and I'll share the others.I laughed when I found the frog pics that you liked them.Could send them and then say frog, frog, SNAKE!They sometimes catch you off guard.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!